Vineyard Altos del Marqués

Vineyard from La Grajera

The winery owns 49 Has (121 acres) of vineyard distributed  among several areas, triangle-shaped with vertexes in La Grajera (Logroño), Yagüe-El Cortijo and Hornos de Moncalvillo. 

Vineyard located on La Grajera (Logroño)

 

In each of these areas the winery´s vineyards are divided into different plots, depending on the grape variety, antiquity of the vineyard, type of soil, orientation, etc.  This separation allows the grapes to be separated in the production phase. As for the harvest, the grapes are picked by hand, using 15kg (33.06 pounds) crates in the best-quality plots, from which the best wines are obtained and 30 kg (66.12 pounds) buckets and small harvesting bins in the rest of plots.

 

Pago from La Grajera (La Grajera-Logroño)

This plot is placed close to the new winery, that the Cerrolaza family founded to join the vineyards and both wineries.
The extension of this plot is 14 Has (34.5 acres), all of the Tempranillo variety, planted for the vines to grow on wires between 1987 and 1990. The soil contains clay with soft hillsides and midday orientation.

Viñedos de La Grajera Viñedos de La Grajera vista 2 Vineyard from La Grajera vista 3

 

Pago El Tiro (La Grajera-Logroño)

Located in the hills near the new winery and the La Grajera. It has an extension of 1,5 Has. (2.6 acres) of the Tempranillo variety, planted for the vines to grow on wires in 1989. The soil is calcareous and clayish, with pronounced hillsides and midday orientation.

Vineyard from El Tiro Vineyard from El Tiro vista 2 Vineyard from El Tiro vista 3

 

Pago Cerro del Prior and Peñalogroño (Yagüe)

These two plots placed in Yagüe have an extension of 8 Has.(19.76 acres). Also of the Tempranillo variety, the vines grow on wires and were planted in 1990,  these plots have a clayish soil, pronounced hillsides and midday orientation.

Vineyard from Yagüe Vineyard from Yagüe vista 2 Vineyard from Yagüe vista 3

 

Pago from Valondo and La Isla (El Cortijo)

With an extension of 5 Has.(12.35 acres) these two plots of the variety Tempranillo and Graciano, lying in a flat area, were planted using wires between 1994 and 1995. The soil is pebbly, orientated towards the rising sun.

Vineyard from El Cortijo Vineyard from El Cortijo vista 2 Vineyard from El Cortijo vista 3

 

Pagos from Hornos de Moncalvillo

Pagos from La Llana, Valdomé, El Cerrillo, La Selva,Valvarión, Valvendía, El Valle, La Pedrera, Cerro de San Cristóbal, Las Arenas, Cerrosotés, Los Pradillos, el Río and Santolín)

Grapes and LeavesIn the municipality of Hornos de Moncalvillo, origin of the Cerrolaza family, there lie the most ancient vineyards cultivated by three generations of the family. The total extension of these plots is 15 Has.(37.06  acres) of which 90% are bush vines and an average age  between 40 and 50 years old, though one of them is 80 years old. The remaining 10% has got vines growing on wires and was planted in 1987. The varieties in these plots are Tempranillo (85%), robe (10%) and Mazuelo (5%). These vineyards lie between 550 and 700 metres high on a very steep hillside with pebbly soil. The climate is  typical of mountain areas, with a great variation in temperature between day and night.

Vineyard from Hornos de Moncalvillo Vineyard from Hornos de Moncalvillo vista 2 Vineyard from Hornos de Moncalvillo vista 3